Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Word-A-Day


Alison sends me the word a day.

They are not always so interesting but this week's have peaked my interest! They are words that have evolved into other words.

Here are this week's words thus far!

Monday: Druthers (DRUTH-uhrz) noun; One's own way; preference, contraction of "'d rather", as in "I/he/etc. would rather ..."

Tuesday: Prithee (PRITH-ee) interjection; Please (used to express a request); contraction of (I) pray thee.

Wednesday: Willy-nilly (WIL-ee NIL-ee) adverb, adjective; 1. Whether willing or not. 2. Haphazardly; contraction of "will ye/he/I nill ye/he/I", from will (to be willing) and nill (to be unwilling).

Today: Blimey (BLY-mee) interjection; An expression of surprise, dismay, etc.; contraction of "blind me" or "blame me", from "God blind/blame me"; sometimes heard in the form gorblimey or corblimey.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home