Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Thomas Allen


Chip Kidd, besides being a great speaker at HOW, introduced many people to the photographer/sculptor Thomas Allen.

He describes his distinctive photographs as simply, "dames, dicks, and deadbeats 'cut loose' from the covers of vintage paperbacks to mix it up for the camera, blending pulp with pop-up, dime novel with diorama, and illustration with illusion."

He literally cuts the characters free from the covers of old pulp novels, creates a three-dimensional sculpture, then photographs it as if the characters are actual models for the camera, all from his basement in home basement in Michigan.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Russell said...

I forgot how great Allen's work is. Who knew something that was designed entirely in 2-D could take on a new life in the third dimension. Maybe he could breathe some life into a few of my family pictures : )

Thanks for the props btw!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home