Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Cult of Oprah


Oprah received an honorary doctorate of humanities from Howard University in Washington.

In her comments, La Oprah brought down the house, while relating the story of her grandmother, who worked as a maid. She said her grandmother always urged her to befriend white people.

"She used to say, 'I hope you get some good white folks that are kind to you.' And I (Oprah) regret that she didn't live past 1963 to see that I did grow up and get some really good white folks working for me," Winfrey said, to laughter and a loud applause.

I'm sorry. Let's switch one word and see the outcry. "I did grow up and get some really good black folks working for me." Why label them by color?

Why was there no media outcry of Oprah identifying people by their race? Where was the outrage?

There was barely a mention ANY-FRICKin-WHERE! Oh the GREAT Oprah!

Yeah it was her old mammy, a word I am sure I would get in trouble for, tellin', young Oprahg a story. But then Madame Oprah adds to the story with "I did grow up and get some really good white folks working for me."

Oprah could have simply said "I wish granny could have seen the success her granddaughter has today and the amazing people I work with." But no, she opted for the "good white folks."

And I am sure she put on her "girlfriend-I-am-just-like-you" accent while delivering her speech at Howard. How condescending is THAT!

Now today on her show, she is shilling away for her corporate pals! I thought payola was not cool?

Anyhow thus far she has given her congregation a tote bag from Land's End, 2 cds (Robin Thicke, Timberlake Wannabe, and Beyoncé) Beyoncé then "Live from Germany" gave the audience tickets to her upcoming tour, VIP no less! Oprah then shilled, or rather shelled out iPod Nanos and some speaker thing for it, eyeglasses, flip flops, a towel from Target and some cover up from Old Navy.

Like I told my friend, by the end of the show. Oprah could declare that after the show she is going to steamroll over hundreds of puppies, kittens, chicks and bunnies and the audience would jump up and applaud!

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Dude, it ain't the same thing, all due respect. Her saying that about white people and you saying it about black people just ain't the same thing. This may be better as a conversation. :-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me cringe.

A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home