Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Boxing Day!


The question is. . .What is Boxing Day? Not even my British friend is sure! The debate A. The day after Christmas there was a serious of pugilistic events that people went to, perhaps working out their frustrations from not getting what they had hoped for for Christmas. Or B. The day after Christmas when all boxes, wrapping and trim was collected for trash.

Anyone know the real story?

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

hmmm. I did a little searching and this is what I learned-
The holiday's roots can be traced to Britain, where Boxing Day is also known as St. Stephen's Day. Its origins are found in a long-ago practice of giving cash or goods to those of the lower classes. Gifts among equals were exchanged on or before Christmas Day, but gifts to those less fortunate were bestowed the day after.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger rzdesign said...

But where does the boxing come in?! Were the less fortunate given things in plain boxes?

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

There are quite a few theories on the meaning of "boxing day". You can check them out at Boxing Day

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger rzdesign said...

I did not find that anywhere, but it is the best explanation so far!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home