Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

O', as in Organic, Christmas Tree!


A quick disclaimer: I am not a scrooge! I love giving gifts and celebrating the season! Hell, if my cat would let me I would have a live tree. Instead I celebrate with my artificial tree. I love a natural tree, the smell, the natural beauty of it and all. That being said. . .

A neighbor of mine was telling us about their weekend plans. To the ooh's and aah's of some, he told us they are going to get a Christmas tree this weekend. . .AN ORGANIC CHRISTMAS TREE! They are going to jump in their Jeep Cherokee, drive 80 miles out to the country, cut down a tree; strap it to the roof and drive back another 80 miles.

Where do I start?! First off, aren't all trees by nature of being a tree ORGANIC? Yeah I know, tree farms use toxic pesticides to grow bigger better trees, but that is what people want.

I have also heard many times that the best way to be organic is to do so local! You have to consider your carbon footprint when buying organic. If the organic food you are buying is shipped in from California, consider all the resources being used to deliver that "better for the world" product to your table? It is considerable, from packing to shipping to marketing etc. Buying locally grown organics saves all of that and is truly better for the world in the end.

This Norman Rockwellian outing is loaded with bad things for the environment all in the name of being ORGANIC. Let's start with the less than fuel efficient vehicle. A quick Google shows an average MPG to be 16, 10 gallons of fossil fuel. On the Annual Greenhouse Gas Emmissions scale of 16.2/worse to 3.5/best it rates 11.4

At season's end, is that ORGANIC tree going to be composted properly? Every strand of tinsel removed meticulously so as not to add to the earth non-biodegradable materials? Or will it be out at the trash with all the wrapping paper, ribbons and packing materials destined to a landfill. How sad that would be an ORGANIC tree left to rot in a toxic landfill.

And lastly, would the best way to have an ORGANIC tree be to leave it growing in the earth where it can do the best for the environment? Cleaning the air, being a home and resource for all sorts of nature, removing airborn pollultants? The trees in all the tree lots have been cut down. If they do not sell they go to waste. The tree had to die for nothing! I say buy a tree that has been cut already. Why waste one of nature's creatures?

I think the best organic tree is an artificial one! Families have done this for years and typically keep and use the same tree year after year after year! That's my kind of organic tree. Leave the living ones alone to do their job in the world.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

I just can't do fake for the family Christmas tree. Just can't.

What I think would be ideal is to buy a 4-5 ft potted tree, decorate it for Christmas and plant it in the spring.

But then I would have to keep it alive until spring. That could be tough. And if it did stay alive until spring then I would probably want to make buying a potted Christmas tree a tradtion and do it every year.

Since I have a good 40+ years left (I hope) that would be a lot of trees to plant. Practically enough for a Christmas tree farm! Hmmm.

I won't use any pesticides and it will be an organic Christmas tree farm! and in 40 years everyone in town can buy their trees from me. Locally grown organic trees.

I like it!

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger nancyillustration.com said...

And also, Organic trees don't come in silver like the fakes do! What's a tree without the soft reflective glare of fake aluminum?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Willie Baronet said...

You are a scrooge, when is the last time you sent me a gift???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home