Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

I had me some shrimp for lunch today!


Here are some facts about shrimp!

How do prawns, crayfish, and shrimp differ?
As so often happens, common names are used loosely and inconsistently in the shrimp family. The "prawn" of Great Britain and other countries is essentially the same animal as the shrimp of the United States, the only biological difference being that prawns have their second abdominal flap (counting from the head towards the tail) overlapping the first and the third. In this country, the term "shrimp" applies to all crustaceans of the Natantia group, regardless of size. "Crayfish" or "crawfish" are names given to both a common freshwater crustacean and to the saltwater spiny lobster.

Is there more than one kind of shrimp?
Numerous varieties exist, among them brown, white, pink, royal red, brine, and rock shrimp.

How big do shrimp grow?
Depending on the species, size ranges from about 1/2 inch long on the west coast of the United States, to almost 12 inches elsewhere.

How long do shrimp live?
The life cycle varies geographically and by species. Some live as long as 6-1/2 years, others live only a year.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

In California if you order "shrimp" you get the little bitty icky ones. You must say prawns to get the nice big ones. I know cause I made that mistake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home