Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

ASL


I am taking an American Sign Language (ASL) class to learn the language. I have always wanted to learn ASL but never found the time. Assuming tenure is mine, a sabbatical will follow in the fall. I have developed a sabbatical project that looks at how ASL and graphic design relate in their both being visual communications. Then again, I have found lots of movement, improvisation, sculptural qualities within ASL so who knows where this may go!

The class is taught immersion style which means no talking allowed! There is a lot of pointing and charades playing as we have just begun this past Monday. But currently I can spell my name, greet you and ask how you are!

1 Comments:

At 10:47 PM, Blogger S'mee said...

Hi! 1st time here via Trixi. I learned ASL a while back via some Mormon Missionaries who came to my house every day for 6 weeks to give me free lessons. After that they dropped me off at deaf parties and socials with folks I never met before and drove away! It was sink or swim and I had the best time laughing and being laughed at as I learned the language.

Immersion is great! Look in your area for things like Deaf bowling night or Pizza Hut or whatever. Call the county where you live and see if they have organizations that provide social opportunities for the deaf and just go. The folks I met were VERY anixous to help me learn and I made a lot of friends.

I eventually learned enough to be an interpretor in the county school programs and had a grand time.

Good luck and have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home