Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Who cares about medals!


I love the Olympics. Not as a sports fan, but as a designer. What a freakin' awesome project that would be, to design the Olympics!

I visited the Olymic Museum in Laussane, Switzerland, where to this day I swear I saw Fidel Castro! But that is another story! They have wonderful exhibits of mascots, logos, torches, medals, everything Olympic!

This year's Olympic design, by Elise Thomason of Iconologic, for Torino, Italy, are visually really cool. And the pictograms just kept nagging at me for their familiar look. And sure enough, it was the pictograms from the 1968 games in Grenoble, France designed by Roger Excoffon.

Thanks to the computer and the designer's ability to play with transparency, we have the active set from Torino. There is even a nod to the fashion of Italy with the flared legs of the pants! But nothing beats the magic of the line to create the kinetic movement of the pictograms from Grenoble.


See and read more in the current January/February CA

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger mace said...

After we talked about this, and you had this excellent post, I realized what compels me so much about this graphics system.

With the prevelance of Flash on the net, there's been an onslaught of Flash-like artwork in web, print, tv and more. Yes, it's caught on like crazy, and had even started getting really annoying for me. I hate trends that people use and abuse. I firmly believe it has been used and abused.

This system of graphics gives me hope, because it seems that the interesting style that Flash helped create is finally being used and built upon. It reminds me of flash art, but goes a step further. It's airy, it's graceful, it full of motion, and really embodied the Olympics AND winter to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home