Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sympathy For The Devil: The Art of Rock & Roll since 1967


A new show at the MCA Chicago shows how music has influenced art and art has influenced music. I saw the show this past Saturday and remembered how much I really like Robert Longo's work, especially his "Men in the Cities" series. As I have recently discovered looking back at many of the artists whose work I am drawn to, they all have a very graphic feel and aesthetic to them.

Longo studied sculpture, but drawing remained his favorite form of self-expression. His sculptural influence invades his drawing technique, as his "portraits" have a distinctive chiseled line that seems to give the drawings a three-dimensional quality. Longo uses graphite like clay, molding it to create images like the writhing, dancing figures in his seminal "Men in the Cities" series.

It is a pretty interesting show and if in Chicago, worth seeing. The MCA is celebrating it's 40th anniversary with 40 days of free admission!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger scarydinosaur said...

we found a place to stay.
looking forward to seeing you in denver.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home