Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Denver Capital


When I visit a new state, as I just did to Colorado, I try like the dickens to visit its capital. I am not a huge history buff, but I like seeing the different buildings, the architecture, the art they typically hold and such.

One of the most strinking features of the Denver capital building is the pink stone used throught. The pink stone is native to Colorado and discovered near Beulah. This is a unique color of onyx and has never been found anywhere else in the world. They know this as when they were looking to acquire additional stone, they were unable to find any anywhere. There are several shades of the pink stone which was meticulaously sorted for various aspects of the building.

The markers found on the steps leading up to the capital are proof of the state's motto of "Mile High City." The original marker was installed in 1909 on the 15th step, one mile above sea level. It was stolen, many times. They finally carved into the step the words "ONE MILE ABOVE SEA LEVEL." After all, who could steal a whole granite step.

In 1969, Colorado State University engineering students surveyed the capital and found that the mile high step was actually the 18th, and the marker on the left was installed.

Finally, using the new national vetical datum, it was found that the 13th step is the at 5,280 feet and in 2003 the marker on the right was installed.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

no photo of you in front of the capital though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home