Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Jacob Lawrence


"The Shoemaker," by Jacob Lawrence, gouache and watercolor on paper, 22 5/8 by 30 7/8 inches, 1945

Someone told me they were recently at the Whitney in New York. Which got me of thinking the last time I was at the Whitney I saw an amazing show of jacob Lawrence. So here is one of his images.

From the Whitney's website: Jacob Lawrence (1917-2000) is one of the most prominent and revered American artists of the 20th century. One of Lawrence's most renowned works is his sixty-panel Migration Series, portraying the flight of more than six million African Americans from the impoverished communities in the rural South to the industrial cities of the North. The panels depict themes of migration including movement, family, labor, segregation, struggle, and hope. An American epic told through vivid patterns and colors, the Migration Series is a masterpiece of narrative painting, the first work produced on this subject. Capturing racial ruptures of the day, Lawrence chronicles the quest of people in search of greater economic and social justice.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home