Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Monday, January 18, 2010

FIGures!


I am having a bit of an affair with figs. Lovin' them!

Used to love the ole Fig Newton! But have not had one of those in a long time. Actually have not eaten many figs at all.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I was at a party and someone made a goat cheese and fig spread. OH SO GOOD!

Then on Iron Chef America they had Battle Fig.

And the other night I took some inspiration and made a pork tenderloin stuffed with couscous, figs and apples. WOW!

Bought some dried figs and love em as a snack!

FYI! Figs are one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber. According to USDA data for the Mission variety, dried figs are richest in fiber, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and vitamin K, relative to human needs. They have smaller amounts of many other nutrients. Figs have a laxative effect and contain many antioxidants. They are good source of flavonoids and polyphenols. In one study, a 40-gram portion of dried figs (two medium size figs) produced a significant increase in plasma antioxidant capacity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home