Zeidland

Welcome to my world! I always thought it would be fun to be the ruler of my own place, and now I can be! I see it as an island within a big city full of life, culture and lots of laughter. Consider yourself a citizen.

Monday, March 12, 2007

When in Rome. . .


Here is the situation.

You run in to someone on the street you have not seen for a while. It is clear they have changed quite a bit. Let's say they gained 30 pounds, dyed their hair and pierced their nose.

You or I would make conversation and most likely avoid the obvious. We may comment on the nose piercing. However, the Deaf person would come right out and say, "Wow! Have not seen you in a while. You have giained weight. Are you pregnant? What's with the hair color? Did you really need another hole in your nose?"

That's right, the Deaf believe that if it is noticeable, you can comment on it.

Now granted, our avoiding of the obvious can be as uncomfortable as an elephant in a phone booth with you, but the other side of the coin can be as awkward for a whole other set of reasonos.

But when in Rome. . .

1 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Lisa Ryan said...

I found that true when I taught ESL. just put whatever you are thinking out there!

where did you find that photo? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home